First Registration - Last modified: 03 January 2010
Please provide the following documents when applying for consular registration:
1. Application form filled in and signed by the applicant.
2. Information sheet filled in and signed by the applicant.
3. Original copy of the birth certificate
4. Original copy of your father's or death certificate. If you were born abroad, you must provide the birth or death certificate of your grand-father or a certificate of Algerian nationality.
5. Original and a copy of proof of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (leave to remain, student visa, work permit visa, British Irish or European Economic Area passport).
6- Proof of address in the UK or Ireland (Copy of any utility bill)
7- Six (6) (similar) recent passport-sized photographs
8- Proof of employment or enrolment certificate for students
9- Copy of marriage certificate.
10- Copy of any document showing your status with regard to national service in Algeria (sursis, carte de dispense ou d'exemption, livret militaire).
11- Original Algerian passport and photocopies of pages 1, 2, 3 including visa endorsement page.
12- Stamped self-addressed envelope. (For the safety of your documents, we recommend a recorded delivery envelope)
NB: Uncomplete files will be returned to the sender if the application is made by post and not accepted if lodged at the Consulate.
Please note that nationals married in the UK or Ireland should apply simultaneously for the registration of their marriage and the issue of a Family Book. For this purpose, they need to provide when applying for First Consular registration
- A copy of the marriage certificate
- A copy of the national's full birth certificate (Copie integrale)
- A copy of the spouse's full birth certificate
First Registration Processing Time
If the applicant is still in possession of his previous passport and has had leave to remain granted under immigration rules, the processing time will take 30 working days or more. However in case of loss of passport, the procedure may take longer (more than 3 months).
For a renewal, if the application was made by post, the processing time will take up to 5 working days, otherwise it can be processed on the same day if the applicant visits the consulate in person.
The registration card (carte d’immatriculation) is valid for five (5) years from the date of issue and is free of charge.
Renewal of Registration
Please note that the documents needed for the renewal of the consular registration are the same as for the first one. However, and in order to make things easier, some documents will not be requested, such as the birth certificate (unless there is a change in the applicant's situation).
Hence, for the renewal of the Consular Registration, the following documents must be provided:
1. Application form filled and signed by the applicant
2. Previous registration card
3. Two (2) recent and similar passport-sized photographs
4. Original and a copy of proof of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (leave to remain, student visa, work permit visa, British, Irish passport)
5. Proof of activity or enrolment certificate for the students.
6. Proof of address in the UK or Ireland (any utility bill, tenancy agreement ...)
7. Stamped self-addressed envelope when applying by post.
Click here to check the status of your Consular Registration. We currently update this database on a regular basis, please check regularly.
Please use the application reference number (shown on your acknowledgment receipt) or your consular registration number to check the progress of your application as we do not publish names or addresses on this website.
Transfer of Registration File
Algerian Nationals already registered at an Algerian Embassy or Consulate abroad and currently residing permanently in the UK or Ireland should ask for the transfer of their Registration file.
This procedure is carried out by the Consulate and new registration at the Consulate in London is granted as soon as the file is transferred.
(In some cases, the agreement of competent authorities in Algeria is needed).
1. File Transfer Application Form
2. First Registration Application Form
3. Information Sheet
4. Original of the current Consular Registration card
5. Original of any evidence of legal and permanent residency in the UK or Ireland
6. 4 similar recent passport size photographs
Additional documents related to the applicant's personal or professional profile may be requested at a later date.